Mary C. Smith
of Ambulatory and Production Medicine
Dept. of Population Medicine and Diagnostic Sciences
College of Veterinary Medicine
Ithaca, New York 14853
Tel: (607) 253-3140
Fax: (607) 253-3982
- B.S. - 1969 BS, Biological Sciences, with distinction; Cornell University, College of Agriculture
- DVM - 1972 DVM with distinction; Cornell University, New York State College of Veterinary Medicine
Research and Professional Experience
- 1974 - 1975 Instructor, Large Animal Medicine, Obstetrics, and Surgery (LAMOS), Ambulatory Clinic; College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York
- 1978 - 1979 Visiting Research Assistant, Institute Nationale de la Recherche Agronomique, Jouy‑en‑Josas, France
- 1975 - 1983 Assistant Professor of Medicine, Ambulatory Clinic; College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York
- 1983 - 1998
Associate Professor of Medicine, Department of Clinical Sciences; College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York
- 1986 - 1987
Visiting Professor , Ruminant Medicine Clinic [II Medizinische Tierklinik], headed by Professor G. Dirksen; University of Munich, Munich, Germany
- 1993 - 1994 Visiting Veterinarian, Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Veterinary Diagnostic Lab; Preston, UK
- 1998 - 2005 Associate Professor of Ambulatory and Production Medicine; College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York.
- 2006 - present Professor of Ambulatory and Production Medicine; College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York.
Professional Society Memberships
- American Veterinary Medical Association
- New York State College of Veterinary Medicine Alumni Association
- American Association of Bovine Practitioners
- American Association of Small Ruminant Practitioners. Newsletter editor, 1985-present.
- Society for Theriogenology
American Association of Swine Veterinarians
International Veterinary Acupuncture Society
- Licensed and accredited in New York State
- VTMED 5600 Ambulatory and Production Medicine
- VTMED 6531 Poisonous Plants - Course site
- VTMED 6545 Sheep and Goat Medicine - Course site
- VTMED 6530 Llamas - Course site
- VTMED 5612 Fourth Year Seminar - Course site
- VTMED 6724 Senior Seminar Distribution- Course site
- Linklater KA, Smith MC. Colour Atlas of Diseases and Disorders of the Sheep and Goat, Wolfe Publishing Ltd., London, England, 1993.
Smith MC, Sherman DM. Goat Medicine, 2nd edition. Ames, IA, Blackwell, 2009
Wiedmann M, Czajka J, Baat N, Bodis M, Smith MC, Divers TJ, Batt CA. Diagnosis and epidemiological association of Listeriamonocytogenes strains in two outbreaks of listerial encephalitis in small ruminants. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 32:991-996; 1994.
Wiedmann M, Arvik T, Bruce JL, Neubauer J, del Piero F, Smith MC, Hurley J, Mohammed HO, Batt CA. Investigation of a listeriosis epizootic in sheep in New York state. American Journal of Veterinary Research 58:733-737; 1997.
Delgado-Lecaroz R, Warnick LD, Guard CL, Smith MC, Barry DA. Cross-sectional study of the association of abomasal displacement or volvulus with serum electrolyte and mineral concentrations in dairy cows. Canadian Veterinary Journal 41:301-305;2000.
Barr SC, Linke RA, Janssen D, Guard CL, Smith MC, Daugherty CS, Scarlett JM. Detection of biofilm formation and nanobacteria under long-term cell culture conditions in serum samples of cattle, goats, cats, and dogs. American Journal of Veterinary Research 64:176-182; 2003.
- Evans K, Smith M, McDonough P, Wiedmann M. Eye infections due to Listeria monocytogenes in three cows and one horse. Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation 16:464-469; 2004.
Daley LP, Gagliardo LF, Duffy MS, Smith MC, Appleton JA. Application of monoclonal antibodies in functional and comparative investigations of heavy-chain immunoglobulins in New World camelids. Clinical and Diagnostic Laboratory Immunology 12:380-386; 2005.
- Smith MC. Veterinary experiences with the Cornell STAR system of accelerated lambing. Small Ruminant Research 62:125-128, 2006.
- Nedrow AJ, Gavalchin J, Smith MC, Stehman SM, Maul JK, McDonough SP and Thonney ML: Antibody and skin-test responses of sheep vaccinated against Johne's Disease. Veterinary Immunology and Immunopathology 117:109-112, 2007.
- Breed MW, Guard CL, White ME, Smith MC, and Warnick LD: Comparison of pregnancy diagnosis in dairy cattle by use of a commercial ELISA and palpation per rectum. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association 235:292-298, 2009.
- Daley LP, Kutzler MA, Bennett BW, Smith MC, Glaser AL, and Appleton JA: Effector Functions of Camelid Heavy-Chain Antibodies in Immunity to West Nile Virus. Clinical and Vaccine Immunology 17(2):239-246, 2010.
- McComb TK, Bischoff K, Thompson B, Smith MC, Mohammed HO, Ebel J, and Hillebrandt J: An investigation of blood selenium concentrations of goats in New York State. J Vet Diagn Invest 22:696-701, 2010.
- Ermilio EM and Smith MC: Treatment of emergency conditions in sheep and goats. Veterinary Clinics North America Food Animal 27:33-45, 2011.