Ynte Hein Schukken
Professor of Epidemiology and Herd Health
Department of Population Medicine
and Diagnostic Sciences
College of Veterinary Medicine
Ithaca, New York 14853
Phone: 607 255 8202
Dr. Schukken is director of the Cornell Program for Applied Research in Mastitis. This program studies udder health in well managed dairy herds and endemic infections in animal populations. The research approach is based on understanding epidemiology and pathobiology of the diseases and infections in animal populations. Dr. Schukken is further interested in understanding population dynamics of infectious diseases in animal populations and in application of epidemiological, statistical and mathematical methods to animal disease research. In recent years, the Cornell Program for Applied Research in Mastitis has investigated infection dynamics in late gestation dairy cows. This work will pave the way for a better understanding of the immune biology of dairy cows, both in early lactation and late gestation. New preventative programs will be developed based on the obtained knowledge, particularly focusing on new vaccine development and new application methods for bovine vaccines. The research in the Schukken Lab has been funded continually by federal and state agencies for well over 10 years. In addition applied research has been funded by all major stakeholders in the dairy industry.
- DVM - 1985 University of Utrecht
- M.Sc. - 1987 Cornell University
- Ph.D. - 1990 University of Utrecht
- Y.H. Schukken and H.N. Erb. The relation between retained placenta and mastitis in a commercial population of dairy cows. Preventive Veterinary Medicine 5:181-190, 1988.
- Y.H. Schukken, D. v.d.Geer , J.F. Grommers, H.N. Erb and A. Brand. Incidence of clinical mastitis on low somatic cell count farms. Veterinary Record 125:60-62, 1989.
- J.A.C.M. Lohuis, Y.H. Schukken, A.S.J.P.A.M. v.Miert, R. Heyneman, C. Burvenich, P.A.J. Hendrickse, J.H.M. Verheijden and A. Brand. Pre-infection functions of blood polymorphnuclear leukocytes and the outcome of experimental E. coli mastitis in the cow. Journal of Dairy Science 73:342-350, 1990.
- Y.H. Schukken, J. Buurman, F.J. Grommers, D. v.d. Geer and A. Brand. Population dynamics of bulk milk somatic cell counts. Journal Dairy Science 73:1343-1350, 1990.
- M. Nielen, H. Deluyker, Y.H. Schukken and A. Brand. Electrical conductivity of milk: Measurements, modifiers, and meta analysis of mastitis detection performance. J. Dairy Sci. 75:606-614, 1992.
- Y.H. Schukken, K.E. Leslie, A.J. Weersink and S.W. Martin. Ontario bulk milk somatic cell count reduction program. I impact on somatic cell counts and milk quality. Journal of Dairy Science 75:3352-3358, 1992.
- Y.H. Schukken, K.E. Leslie, A.J. Weersink and S.W. Martin. Ontario bulk milk somatic cell count reduction program. II Dynamics of bulk milk somatic cell counts. Journal of Dairy Science 75:3359-3366, 1992.
- Sargeant JM, Schukken YH, Leslie KE. Ontario bulk milk somatic cell count reduction program: III. progress and outlook. J Dairy Sci 1998 Jun;81(6):1545?54
- J. Sol, O.C. Sampimon, J.J. Snoep and Y.H. Schukken. Factors Associated with Bacteriological Cure After Dry Cow Treatment of Subclinical Staphylococcal Mastitis with antibiotics. J.Dairy Sci 77:75-79, 1994.
- T.J.G.M. Lam, L.J.A. Lipman, Y.H. Schukken, W. Gaastra and A. Brand. Epidemiological characteristics of bovine clinical mastitis caused by S.aureus and E. Coli studied by fingerprinting. A.J.V.R. 57:39-42, 1996.
- T. v.Werven, E.N. Noordhuizen-Stassen, A.J.J.M. Daemen, Y.H. Schukken and A. Brand. Preinfection in vitro chemotaxis, oxidative burst, and expression of CD11/CD18 receptors and their forecast capacity on the outcome of mastitis induced in dairy cows with E.coli. J. Dairy Sci. 80:67-74, 1997.
- H.W. Barkema, Y.H. Schukken, T.J.G.M. Lam, M.L. Beiboer, H.Wilmink, G.Benedictus and A. Brand. Incidence of clinical mastitis in dairy herds grouped in three categories by bulk milk somatic cell counts. J. Dairy Science 81:411-419 1998.
- T.J.G.M. Lam, J.H. v. Vliet, Y.H. Schukken, F.J. Grommers, A. v. Velden-Russcher, H.W. Barkema and A. Brand. The effect of discontinuation of postmilking teat disinfection in low somatic cell counts herds: I. Incidence of clinical mastitis. Vet. Quart. 19:41-47, 1997.
- T.J.G.M. Lam, J.H. v. Vliet, Y.H. Schukken, F.J. Grommers, A. v. Velden-Russcher, H.W. Barkema and A. Brand. The effect of discontinuation of postmilking teat disinfection in low somatic cell counts herds: II. Dynamics of intramammary infections. Vet. Quart. 19:47-53,1997.
- T.J.G.M. Lam,Y.H. Schukken, J.H. v. Vliet,, F.J. Grommers, M.J. Tielen and A. Brand Effect of natural infections with minor pathogens on susceptibility to natural infections with major pathogens in the bovine mammary gland. Am.J.Vet.Res. 58:17-22 1997.
- D. Dopfer, T.J.G.M. Lam, H.W. Barkema, W. Gaastra, and Y.H. Schukken. Recurrent clinical mastitis caused by E.coli in dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci 82:80-85 1999.
- H. W. Barkema, J. D. Van Der Ploeg, Y. H. Schukken, T.J.G.M. Lam, G. Benedictus, and A. Brand. Management Style and Its Association with Bulk Milk Somatic Cell Count and Incidence Rate of Clinical Mastitis. J. Dairy Sci 82:1655-1663 1999.
- Suryasathaporn, W., Y.H. Schukken, Dieleman, S.J. The effect of ketone bodies in vivo and in-vitro on leukocyte chemotaxis. Vet. Imm. And Immunopathology. In Press 1999.
- Y.H. Schukken, J. v.d. Broek and G. Casella. Overdispersion in clinical mastitis data from dairy herds: a Negative Binomial approach. Preventive veterinary medicine 10:239-245, 1991.
- J.J. McDermott and Y.H. Schukken. A review of methods used to adjust for herd effects in explanatory epidemiological studies of animal populations. Preventive Veterinary Medicine 18:155-174, 1994.
- J.J. McDermott, Y.H. Schukken and M.M. Shoukri. Methods for analysing data collected from clusters of animals. Preventive Veterinary Medicine 18:175-192, 1994.
- A.R.W. Elbers and Y.H. Schukken. Critical features in clinical (field) trials in veterinary medicine. Veterinary Record 136:187-192, 1995.
- M. Nielen, Y.H. Schukken, A. Brand, S. Haring and R.T. Ferwerda-van Zonneveld. Comparison of some analytical techniques for on-line mastitis detection. J. Dairy Sci. 78:1050-1061, 1995.
- Y.H. Schukken and H. DeLuyker. Design of field trials for the evaluation of clinical mastitis therapeutic products. J. Vet. Pharm. Ther. 18:274-283, 1995.
- T.J.G.M. Lam, Y.H. Schukken, A. Brand and M.C.M. de Jong. Mathematical modelling to estimate efficacy of postmilking teat disinfection in split-udder trials in dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 79:62-70, 1996.
- J.J. Hage, Y.H. Schukken, H.W. Barkema, G. Benedictus, F.A.M. Rijsewijk and G.H. Wentink. Population dynamics of BHV1 infection in a dairy herd. Vet. Micr. 53:169-180 1996.
- W. Suriyasathaporn, M. Nielen, S.J. Dieleman, A. Brand, E.N. Noordhuizen-Stassen, Y.H. Schukken. A Cox proportional-hazards model with time dependent covariates to evaluate the relationship between body-condition score and the risks of first insemination and pregnancy in a high-producing herd. Prev. Vet. Med. 37: 159-172 1998