Daryl V. Nydam
Production Medicine, C2 562
Dept. of Population Medicine and Diagnostic Sciences
College of Veterinary Medicine
Ithaca, New York 14853
My research interests are at the intersection of production animal agriculture and public health at the population level - with an emphasis on dairy cattle. On-going projects are in the areas of calf infectious diseases and performance and transition cow health and performance. I teach a variety of bovine herd health and epidemiology classes as well as provide consulting and emergency service for the dairy industry.
- B.S. - 1993 BioChemistry (Cum Laude) - University of New York at Geneseo
- DVM - 1997 College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University
- Ph.D. - 2002 Epidemiology - Comparative Biomedical Sciences Graduate School, Cornell University
Certifications and Licenses
- Certificate of Tropical Ecology - Northeastern University, School for Field Studies Centre for Rainforest Studies, Yungaburra, Australia
- Foreign Animal Disease Diagnostician Training Course, Plum Island Animal Disease Center
- Dairy Health and Production Management, Ontario Veterinary College, University of Guelph
Research and Professional Experience
- 1997- 1998 Associate Large Animal Veterinarian - Granville Veterinary Service, Granville, NY
- 1997- 2004 Relief Veterinarian - C.W. Nydam Veterinary Clinic, P.C., Stamford, NY
- 1998 - 2001 Veterinary Research Assistant - Section of Epidemiology, Dept. of Population Medicine and Diagnostic Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY
- 2001 - 2006 Senior Extension Veterinarian - New York State Animal Health Diagnostic Center, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY
- 2007 - present Assistant Professor of Dairy Health and Production - Dept. of Population Medicine and Diagnostic Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY
Graduate Faculty Field Memberships
- Population Medicine, Ontario Veterinary College, University of Guelph
- Animal Science, Dept. of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Cornell University
- Summer Dairy Institute: /summerdairyinstitute/
- Food Animal Medicine Experience
- Feedlot Health Management Externship
- Veterinarians and Food Animal Production Systems
- Applied Dairy Nutrition for Practitioners
- Dynamics of Dairy Herd Health
- Herd Health and Biosecurity Risk Evaluation
- Gonzalez RN, Bennett GJ, Sickles SA, Nydam DV. Impact of Prototheca mastitis on bulk tank somatic cell count and standard plate count. The Bovine Proceedings, 31:216-217, 1998
- Nydam DV, Wade SE, Schaaf SL, Mohammed HO. Number of Cryptosporidium parvum oocysts and Giardia spp. cysts shed by dairy calves after natural infection. Am J Vet Res 2001 Oct; 62 (10):1612-1615
- Nydam DV, Lindergard GL, Guard CL, Schaaf SL, Wade SE, Mohammed HO. Serological detection of exposure to Cryptosporidium parvum in cattle by ELISA and evaluation in relation to coprological tests. Parasitol Res. 2002 Sep; 88(9): 797-803.
- Warnick LD, Nydam DV, Maciel A, Wade SE, Guard CL. Descriptive epidemiology of udder cleft dermatitis in a dairy herd with Sarcoptic mange. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2002 Jul 15; 221(2):273-279.
- Perkins G, Lamb S, Erb HN, Schanbacher B, Nydam DV, Divers TJ. Plasma adrenocorticotropin (ACTH) concentration and clinical response in horses treated for Cushing's Disease with cyproheptadine and pergolide. Equine Vet J 2002 34 (7) 679-685.
- Perkins GA, Yeager A, Erb HN, Nydam DV, Divers TJ, Bowman JL. Survival of foals with experimentally induced Rhodococcus equi infection given hyperimmune plasma containing Rhodococcus equi antibody or normal equine plasma. Vet Therapeutics. 2002 Vol 3, No 3 Fall: 334-346.
- Perkins G, Nydam DV, Flaminio J., Ainsworth DM. Serum IgM concentrations in normal fit horses and in horses with lymphoma or other medical conditions. J Vet Intern Med. 2003 17(3)
- Lindergard G, Nydam DV, Wade SE, Schaff SL, Mohammed HO. A novel multiplex polymerase chain reaction approach for detection of four human infective Cryptosporidium isolates: Cryptosporidium parvum, types H and C, Cryptosporidium canis, and Cryptosporidium felis in fecal and soil samples. J Vet Diag Invest 2003 15: 262-267
- Wakshlag JJ, Cooper RR, Wakshlag RR, Kallfelz FA, Barr SC, Nydam DV, Dimauro S. Biochemical evaluation of mitochondrial respiratory chain enzymes in canine skeletal muscle. Am J Vet Res 2004 65 (4): 480 - 484
- Lindergard G, Nydam DV, Wade SE, Schaaf SL, Mohammed HO. The sensitivity of PCR detection of Cryptosporidium oocysts in fecal samples using two DNA extraction methods. Mol Diagn. 2003;7(3):147-53
- Schatzberg SJ, Cutter-Schatzberg K, Nydam DV, Barrett J, Penn R, Flanders J, deLahunta A, Lin L, Mignot E. Case study: The effect of hypocretin replacement therapy in a 3 year old Weimaraner with narcolepsy. J Vet Intern Med. 2004; 18(4):586-8.
- Gardner CE, Nydam DV, Ellis RG, Kelsey S, McDonough PL, Warnick LD. Management of an outbreak of salmonellosis on a commercial calf raising unit. Bov Pract 2004 Vol 38 No. 2: 147-154.
- Gelzer ARM, Attmann T, Radicke D, Nydam DV, Candinas R, Barton M, Lutter G, Effects of Acute Systemic Endothelin Receptor Blockade on Cardiac Electrophysiology in Vivo. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol. 2004 Nov;44(5):564-570.
- Mitchell HM, Nydam DV, Reyher KK, Gilbert RO. The Opportunities Map at Cornell University: Finding Direction in Dairy Production Medicine. J Vet Med Educ. 2004 Winter;31(4):381-4
- Nydam DV, Lindergard GL, Santucci F, Schaff SL, Wade SE, Mohammed HO. Risk of Cryptosporidium parvum and Cryptosporidium hominis in dairy cattle in a New York watershed. Am J Vet Res 2005; 66 No. 3, 413-417
- Stokol T and Nydam DV. Effect of anticoagulant, storage temperature, and duration of storage on non-esterified fatty acid and B-hydroxybutyrate concentrations from dairy cattle. J Dairy Sci 2005; 88 (9): 3139-44.
- Trotz-Williams LA, Martin SW, Martin D, Duffield T, Leslie KE, Nydam DV, Peregrine AS. Multiattribute evaluation of two simple tests for the detection of Cryptosporidium parvum oocysts in calf faeces. Vet Parasit 2005; 134: 15-23.
- Nydam DV and Mohammed HO. Quantitative risk assessment of Cryptosporidium spp. infection in calves on dairy farms. J Dairy Sci 2005; 88(9): 3932-3943.
- Gardner RB, Nydam DV, Mohammed HO, Ducharme NG, Divers TJ. Elevations in Serum Gamma Glutamyl Transferase Values in Horses with Right Dorsal Displacements of the Large Colon. J Vet Intern Med 2005; 19(5):761-764.
- Flaminio MJBF, Nydam DV, Sebastian M, Bernard WV, Hillegas JM, Matychak MB. The Mare Reproductive Loss Syndrome (MRLS) and the Eastern Tent Caterpillar: Immunological Testing of Aborting Mares. Intern J App Res Vet Med 2005; Vol 3 No. 3: 207-216.
- Trotz-Williams LA, Martin DS, Gatei W, Cama V, Peregrine AS, Martin SW, Nydam DV, Jamieson F, Xiao L. Genotype and subtype analyses of Cryptosporidium isolates from dairy calves and humans in southern Ontario. Parasit Res 2006 Sep;99(4):346-52.
- Bicalho RC, Cheong SH, Warnick LD, Nydam DV, Guard CL. The effect of digit amputation or arthrodesis surgery on culling and milk production in Holstein dairy cows. J Dairy Sci 2006; Jul;89(7):2596-602.
- Figuerido MD, Nydam DV, Perkins GA, Mitchell HM, Divers TJ. Prognostic value of blood lactate concentration measured cow-side using a portable clinical analyzer in Holstein dairy cattle with abomasal disorders. J Vet Intern Med 2006; 20: 1463-1470.
- Stokol T and Nydam DV. Effect of hemolysis on non-esterified fatty acid and B-hydroxybutyrate concentrations in bovine blood. J Vet Diagn Invest 2006; Sep; 18: 466-469.
- Wilke MM, Nydam DV, Nixon AJ. Enhanced early chondrogenesis in articular defects following arthroscopic mesenchymal stem cell implantation in an equine model. J Ortho Res. 2007 Jul; 25(7):913-925.
- Flaminio MJ, Borges AS, Nydam DV, Hecker R, Horohov DW, Matychak MB. The effect of CpG-ODN on antigen presenting cells of the foal. J Immun Based Therapies Vac. 2007; Jan 25;5(1):1.
- Trotz-Williams LA, Martin SW, Leslie KE, Duffield T, Nydam DV, Peregrine AS. Association between management practices and within-herd prevalence of Cryptosporidium parvum shedding on dairy farms in southern Ontario. Prev Vet Med. May 2007; (Epub).
- Ziegler PA, Santucci F, Lindergard G, Nydam DV, Wade SE, Schaaf S, Chang YF, Mohammed HO. Evaluation of Polymerase chain reaction diagnosis of Cryptosporidium spp. in Dairy Cattle and Wildlife. Vet Ther. 2007 Summer;8(2):148-59.
- Trotz-Williams LA, Martin SW, Leslie KE, Duffield T, Nydam DV, Peregrine AS. Calf-level risk factors for neonatal diarrhea and shedding of Cryptosporidium parvum in Ontario dairy calves: Prev Vet Med. June 2007; 82: 12-28.
- Gardner RB, Nydam DV, Juna JA, Bicalho M, Matychak MB, Flaminio MJ. Serum opsonization capacity, phagocytosis and oxidative burst activity in neonatal foals in the intensive care unit. J Vet Intern Med. 2007; July/August, 21: 797-805.