Senior Research Associate
Department of Population Medicine and Diagnostic Sciences
College of Veterinary Medicine
Ithaca, New York 14853
Office: (607) 253-3470
Pet food safety, heavy metals in wildlife, domestic animals, and the food chain, and selenium and vitamin E as antioxidants in domestic animals and wildlife.
- American Board of Veterinary Toxicology Diplomate 1999, Oklahoma State University
- MS 1999 Veterinary Pathology, University of Illinois
- 1995 DVM, University of Illinois
- BS 1993 Veterinary Science, University of Wisconsin
- BS 1991 Animal Science
Research and Professional Experience
- 8/2012 to present: Senior Extension Associate, Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine, and Diagnostic Toxicologist, New York State Animal Health Diagnostic Center
- 8/2004 to 8/2012: Assistant Professor, Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine, and Diagnostic Toxicologist, New York State Animal Health Diagnostic Center
- 7/2001 to 7/2004: Anatomic Pathology Resident, University of Florida College of Veterinary Medicine
- 5/2000 to 5/2001: Senior Research Associate, Illinois Institute of Technology
- 1/1999 to 9/1999: Laboratory Animal Resident, University of Alaska
- 1/1996 to 12/1998: Toxicology Resident, Oklahoma Animal Disease Diagnostic Laboratory, Oklahoma State University
- 9/1995 to 10/1995: Intern, Florida Keys Wild Bird Center, Key Largo FL
- 8/1994 to 9/1994: Intern, The Raptor Center, University of Minnesota
- 11/1994 to 12/1994: Intern, National Wildlife Health Center, United States Geological Service
- 6/1989 to 8/1989: Intern, Brookfield Zoo, Brookfield IL
Professional Society Memberships
- Faculty Fellow, Cornell Center for a Sustainable Future
- Society of Toxicology
- American Board of Veterinary Toxicology: Exam Committee 2009-2011
- American Academy of Veterinary and Comparative Toxicology: President 2010-2012, President Elect 2008-2010, Council Member 2005-2008, Awards Committee Chair 2006-2008
- American Association of Veterinary Diagnosticians
- American Veterinary Medical Association
- Council for Agricultural Science and Technology
- Phi Zeta, Alpha Chapter
- Sigma Xi Research Society, Alpha Chapter.
- Karan Agrawal,* Joseph G. Ebel Jr, Craig Altier, Karyn L. Bischoff. Identification of protoxins and a microbial basis for red maple (Acer rubrum) toxicosis in equines. JVDI. In publication.
- K. Bischoff, W. Rumbeiha. Pet food recalls. Veterinary Clinics of North America, Small Animal. In publication.
- K. Bischoff, B. Thompson, H.N. Erb, W.P. Higgins, J.G. Ebel, J.R Hillebrandt. Declines in blood lead concentrations in clinically affected and unaffected cattle accidentally exposed to lead. JVDI (2012). 24: 182-187.
- K. Bischoff, R. Jaeger, J.G. Ebel. An unusual case of relay pentobarbital toxicosis in a dog. Journal of Medical Toxicology (2011). 7: 236-329.
- K. Bischoff, M.C. Smith. Toxic Plants of the Northeastern United States (2011). Veterinary Clinics of North America, Ruminants. 27: 459-480.
- H.G. Kang, K. Bischoff, J.G. Ebel, S.H. Cha, J. McCardle. Comparison of blood lead and blood and plasma δ-aminolevulinic acid concentrations as biomarkers for lead poisoning in cattle (2010). JVDI 22: 903-907.
- T. McComb,* K. Bischoff, B. Thompson, M.C. Smith, H.O. Mohammed, J.G. Ebel, J.R. Hillebrandt. An investigation of blood selenium concentrations of goats in New York State (2010). JVDI 22: 696-701.
- K. Bischoff, C. Gaskill, H.N. Erb, J.G. Ebel, J.R. Hillebrandt. Comparison of 2 methods for blood lead analysis in cattle: graphite-furnace atomic absorption spectrometry and LeadCare® II system (2010). JVDI 22: 729-733.
- C. Lamm,* K. Bischoff, H.N. Erb, C.L. Guard, J.R. Hillebrandt, B. Thompson, B.L. Njaa. Trace-mineral concentrations in dairy cattle with rupture of abdominal-artery aneurysm (2010). Bovine Practitioner: 44: 36-41.
- K. Bischoff, H. Priest,* A. Mount-Long. Animals as sentinels in lead poisoning: a case report (2010). J Med Toxicol 6: 185-189.
- C. L. Miller, K.L. Bischoff, B. Hoff. Polyacrylamide ingestion leading to fatal intestinal obstruction in two birds in a zoo collection (2009). J Avian Med Surg 23(4):286-289.
- H.G. Kang, S.H. Jeong, M.R. Cho, J.H. Cho, K. Bischoff. Time dependent changes in lead and delta-aminolevulinic acid after subchronic lead exposure in rats (2009). Human and Exper Toxicol. 28: 647-654.
- R. Canciolo*, K. Bischoff, L. Serfilippi, J. Ebel, R. Goldstein. Clinicopathologic, histopathologic and toxicologic findings in 70 cats inadvertently exposed to pet food contaminated with melamine and cyanuric acid (2008). JAVMA 233:729-37.
- D.M. Dereszynski*, S.A. Center, J.F. Randolph, M.B. Brooks, A. G. Hadden*, K.S. Palyada*, S.P. McDonough, T. Stokol, K. L. Bischoff, H.N. Erb, S. Gluckman, S.Y. Sanders. Clinical and clinicopathologic features of food borne aflatoxin hepatotoxicity in 72 dogs (2005-2006) (2008). JAVMA 232:1329-37.
- K. Bischoff, C. Lamm*, H.N. Erb, J.R. Hillebrandt. The effects of formalin-fixation and tissue embedding of bovine liver on copper, iron, and zinc analysis (2008). JVDI 20:220-224.
- J.F.X. Wellehan, A.J. Johnson, K.S. Latimer, K. Bischoff, M. Lafortune, E.R. Jacobson Identification and initial characterization of an adenovirus associated with fatal hepatic and lymphoid necrosis in a Meyer’s parrot (Poicephalus meyeri). (2005). J Av Med Surg 19:191-197
- K. Bischoff, J. Pichner, W.E. Braselton, C. Counard, D.C. Evers, W. C. Edwards. Mercury and selenium concentrations in livers and eggs of common loons (Gavia immer) from Minnesota (2002). Arch Environ Contam Toxicol. 42:71-6.
- K. Bischoff, S. Morgan, J. Chelsvig, D. Spencer. 4-aminopyridine poisoning of crows in the Chicago area (2001). Vet. Hum. Toxicol. 43: 350-252.
- K. Bischoff . The toxicology of microcystin-LR: occurrence, toxicokinetics, toxicodynamics, diagnosis, and treatment (2001). Vet. Hum. Toxicol. 43: 249-247.
- K. Bischoff, B. Brizzee-Buxton, N. Gatto, W.C. Edwards, E.L. Stair, C. Logan*. Malicious paraquat poisoning in Oklahoma dogs (1998). Vet. Hum. Toxicol. 40: 151-153.
- K. Bischoff, F. Guale. Austrailan tea tree (Melaleuca alternifolia) oil poisoning in three purebred cats (1998). J. Vet. Diagn. Invest. 10: 208-210.
- K. Bischoff, E. Beier 3rd, W.C. Edwards. Methamphetamine poisoning in three Oklahoma dogs (1998). Vet. Hum. Toxicol. 40: 19-20.
- E. Beier 3rd, K. Bischoff. Flurazepam toxicosis in two dogs (1997). Vet. Hum. Toxicol. 39: 352-354.