|Dr. Dubovi's main areas of research include viral diseases of cattle with particular emphasis on bovine viral diarrhea virus, viral diseases of dogs with emphasis on canine influenza virus, and viral diseases of domestic animals that impact endangered wildlife. Within the context of the Department of Population Medicine and Diagnostic Sciences, current efforts also included herd health programs that emphasize biosecurity and effective use of veterinary biologicals.|
|B.A.||- Biology, 1967||University of Pennsylvania - Philadelphia, PA|
|M.A.||- Virology, 1968||Purdue University - West Lafayette, IN|
|Ph.D.||- Microbiology, 1975||University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine - Pittsburgh, PA|
|Honors and Awards|
|American College of Veterinary Microbiologists - Elected Honorary Diplomate, November, 2000|
|Research and Professional Experience|
|10/04-present||Professor of Virology|
|3/02-4/03||Associate Director for Laboratory Operations, Animal Health Diagnostic Laboratory, Dept of Pop Med and Diag. Science, College of Veterinary Medicine at Cornell.|
|2/01-3/02||Associate Chair of Diagnostic Programs, Dept of Pop Med and Diag. Science, College of Veterinary Medicine at Cornell.|
|7/98-7/99||Associate Chair of Diagnostic Programs, Dept of Pop Med and Diag Science, College of Veterinary Medicine at Cornell.|
|7/90-7/98||Associate Director, Diagnostic Center, College of Veterinary Medicine at Cornell|
|11/87-9/04||Associate Professor, Dept Pop Med and Diag Science, College of Veterinary Medicine at Cornell|
|11/81-11/87||Assistant Professor, Diagnostic Laborartory, New York State College of Veterinary Medicine at Cornell.|
|9/77 - 11/81||Research Assistant Professor of Pediatrics and Bacteriology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.|
|7/76 - 8/77||U.S.P.H.S. Research Fellowship, Department of Microbiology, School of Medicine, University of Virginia.|
|Professional Society Memberships|
|American Society for Microbiology|
|Conference of Research Workers in Animal Diseases|
|Infectious Disease Society of America|
|American Society for Virology|
|American Association of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosticians|
|American Association for the Advancement of Science|
|United States Animal Health Association|
|Wildlife Diseases Association|
|Member, Foreign and Emerging Diseases, USAHA|
|Member, Infectious Diseases of Cattle, Bison and Camelids USAHA|
|Member, Virology Committee, American Association of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosticians|
|Member, Bluetongue and Related Orbivirus, USAHA|
|Member, Bluetongue Diagnosis Committee, American Association of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosticians.|
|Ad Hoc Reviewer for USDA Grants Program|
|Ad Hoc Reviewer for the Grayson-Jockey Club|
|Editorial Board - Journal of Clinical Microbiology, 1992-4.|
|Ad Hoc Reviewer for the following journals:|
|Journal of Virology|
|Journal of Infectious Diseases|
|The Compendium on Continuing Education for the Practicing Veterinarian|
|Reviews of Infectious Diseases|
|Journal of General Virology|
|Journal of Clinical Microbiology|
|Archives of Virology|
|Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation|
|Journal of Zoo and Wildlife Medicine|
|Journal of Wildlife Diseases|
|Journal of Virological Methods|
|Journal of American Veterinary Medical Association|
|Canadian Journal of Veterinary Research|
96. Erles, K., Dubovi, E.J., Brooks, H.W., and Brownlie, J. 2004. Longitudinal study of viruses associated with canine infectious respiratory disease. J. Clin. Microbiol. 42: 4524-4529.
97. Palaniappan, R.U.M., Chang, Y-F., Chang, C-F., Pan, M.J., Yang, C.W., Harpending, P., McDonough, S.P., Dubovi, E., Divers, T., Qu, J., and Roe, B. 2005. Evaluation of lig-based conventional and real time PCR for the detection of pathogenic leptospires. Mol Cell Probes 19:111-117.
98. Tajima, M. and Dubovi, E.J. 2005. Genetic and clinical analyses of bovine viral diarrhea virus isolates from dairy operations in the United States of America. J Vet Diagn Invest 17:10-15.
99. Deregt, D, Dubovi, E.J., Jolley, M.E., Nguyen, P., Burton, K.M., and Gilbert, S.A. 2005. Mapping of two antigenic domains on the NS3 (p80) protein of the pestivirus bovine viral diarrhea virus. Vet Microbiol. 108:13-22.
100. Kim, S.G., Kim, E.H., Lafferty, C.J., and Dubovi, E.J. 2005. High prevalence of Coxiella burnetii (Q fever) in bulk tank milk sample from United States dairy herds. Emerg Inf Dis. 11:619-621.
101. McFadden, K.W., Wade, S.E., Dubovi, E.J., and Gompper, M.E. 2005. A serology and fecal parsitology survey of the critically endangered pygmy raccoon (Procyon pygmaeus). J Wildlife Diseases, 41:615-617.
102. Crawford, P.C., Dubovi, E.J., Castleman, W.L., Stephenson, I., et al. 2005. Interspecies transmission of equine influenza virus to dogs. Science, 310:482-485
103. Gil LHVG, Ansari IH, Vassilev V, Liang D, Lai, V, Zhong W, Hong Z, Dubovi EJ, and Donis R. 2006. The amino-terminal domain of bovine viral diarrhea virus NPRO protein is necessary for interferon type I antagonism. J Virol. 80:900-911.
104. Ridpath JF, Neill JD, Vilcek S, Dubovi EJ, and Carman S. 2006. Multiple outbreaks of sever acute BVDV in North America occurring between 1993 and 1995 linked to the same BVDV2 strain. Vet Microbiol. 114: 196-204.
105. Luebcke E, Dubovi E, Black D, Ohsawa K, and Eberle R. 2006. Isolation and characterization of a chimpanzee alphaherpesvirus. J Gen Virol. 87:11-19.
106. Priestnall SL, Brownlie J, and Dubovi EJ. 2006. Serological prevalence of canine respiratory coronavirus. Vet Microbiol. 115:43-53.
107. Clifford DL, Mazet JAK, Dubovi EJ, Garcelon DK, Coonan TJ, Conrad PA, and Munson L. 2006. Pathogen exposure in endangered island fox (Urocyon littoralis) populations: Implications for conservation management. Biol Conservation 131:230-243.
108. Fischer SM, Quest CM, Dubovi EJ, Davis RD, Tucher SJ, Friary JA, Crawford PC, Ricke TA, and Levy JK. 2007. Response of feral cats to vaccination at the time of neutering. JAVMA 230:52-58.
109. Patterson EV, Reese MJ, Tucker SJ, Dubovi EJ, Crawford PC, and Levy JK> 2007. Effect of vaccination on parvovirus antigen testing in kittens. JAVMA 230: 359-363.
110. Karaca K, Dubovi EJ, Siger L, Robles A, Audonnet JC, Jiansheng Y, Nordgren R, and Minke JM. 2007. Evaluation of the ability of canarypox-vectored equine influenza virus vaccines to induce humoral immune responses against canine influenza viruses in dogs. Am J Vet Res 68: 208-212.
111. Rosas CT, Konig P, Dubovi EJ, Tischer BK, and Osterrieder N. 2007. Evaluation of the vaccine potential of an equine herpesvirus type 1 vector expressing bovine viarl diarrhea virus structural proteins. J Gen Virol 88:748-757.
112. Qin Q, Wei, F, Dubovi, EJ, and Loeffler IK. 2007. Serosurvey of infectious disease agents of carnivores in captive red pandas (Ailurus fulgens) in China. J. Zoo Wildl. Med. 38:42-50.
113. Fiorello CV, Noss AJ, Deem SL, Maffei L, and Dubovi EJ. 2007. Serosurvey of small carnivores in the Bolivian Chaco. J Wildl Dis 43: 551-557.
114. Loeffler IK, Howard J, Montali RJ, Hayek L-A, Dubovi E, Zhang Z, Yan Q, Guo W, and Wildt DE. 2007. Serosurvey of ex situ giant pandas (Ailuropoda melanoleuca) and red pandas (Ailurus fulgens) in China with implications for species conservation. J. Zoo Wildl. Med 38: 559-566.
115. Barlow J, Rauch B, Welcome F, Kim SG, Dubovi EJ, and Schukken Y. 2008. Association between Coxiella burnetii shedding in milk and subclinical mastitis in dairy cattle. Vet Res. 39: 23.
116. Lu Z, Branscum AJ, Shuck KM, Zhang J, Dubovi, EJ, Timoney PJ, and Balasuriya UB. 2008. Comparison of two real-time reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction assays for the detection of equine arteritis virus nucleic acid in equine semen and tissue culture fluid. J Vet Diagn Invest. 20: 147-155.
117. Levy JK, Crawford PC, Lappin MR, Dubovi EJ, Levy MG, Alleman R, Tucker SJ, and Clifford SL. 2008. Infectious diseases of dogs and cats on Isabela Island, Galapogos. J Vet Intern Med. 22: 60-65.
118. Rosas C, Van de Walle GR, Metzger SM, Hoelzer K, Dubovi EJ, Kim SG, Parrish CR, and Osterrieder N. 2008. Evaluation of a vectored equine herpesvirus type 1 (EHV-1) vaccine expressing H3 haemagglutinin in the protection of dogs against canine influenza. Vaccine 26: 2335-2343.
119. Bronson E, Emmons LH, Murray S, Dubovi EJ, and Deem SL. 2008. Serosurvey of pathogens in domestic dogs on the border of Noel Kempff Mercado National Park, Bolivia. J Zoo Wildl Med. 39: 28-36.
120. Birk AV, Dubovi EJ, Cohen-Gould L, Donis R, and Szeto HH. 2008. Cytoplasmic vacuolization responses to cytopathic bovine viral diarrhea virus. Virus Res. 132: 76-85.
121. Reese MJ, Pattersson EV, Tucker SJ, Dubovi EJ, Davis RD, Crawford PC, and Levy JK. 2008. Effects of anesthesia and surgery on serologic responses in kittens. J. Am Vet Med Assoc 233: 116-1121.
122. Munson L, Terio KA, Kock R, Mlengeya T, Roelke ME, Dubovi EJ, Summers B, Sinclair AR, and Packer C. 2008. Climate extremes promote fatal co-infections during canine distemper epidemics in African lions. PloS ONE 3:e2545.
123. Dubovi, EJ and Njaa, B. 2008. Canine influenza. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract 38: 827-835.
124. Birk AV, Dubovi EJ, Zhang X, and Szeto HH. 2008. Antiviral activity of geneticin against bovine viral diarrhea virus. Antivir Chem Chemother 19: 33-40.
125. Payungporm S, Crawford PC, Kouo TS, Chen LM, Pompey J, Castleman WL, Dubovi EJ, Katz JM, and Donis RO. 2008. Influenza A virus (H3N8) in dogs with respiratory disease, Florida. Emerg Infect Dis 14: 902-908.
126. Perkins GA, Goodman LB, Dubovi EJ, Kim SG, and Osterrieder N. 2008. Detection of equine Herpesvirus-1 innasal swabs of horses by quantitative real-time PCR. J Vet Intern Med 22: 1234-8.
|Wildlife Related Publications|
Last Update 12 May 2009