Bruce L. Akey
Assistant Dean of Diagnostic Operations
Executive Director, Animal Health Diagnostic Center
Senior Extension Associate
Department of Population Medicine and Diagnostic Sciences
College of Veterinary Medicine
Ithaca, New York 14853
- 1977 College of William and Mary Bachelor of Science, Biology
- 1981 University of Florida Master of Science, Animal Parasitology
- 1987 University of Minnesota Doctor of Veterinary Medicine
Research and Professional Experience
- 2006 – Present Assistant Dean of Diagnostic Operations and Executive Director, Animal Health Diagnostic Center, College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University
- Serve as Executive Director of the Animal Health Diagnostic Center which comprises the New York State Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory (under contract with the New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets) as well as a complete complement of full-service, multi-disciplinary and multi-species diagnostic service, research and development laboratories. This position provides overall leadership and management of the Center and the 180+ employees therein, including budget, personnel, marketing and establishing program priorities and strategic directions. The Center’s clients span all 50 states as well as federal and international clients. The Center is a founding member of the USDA’s National Animal Health Laboratory Network (NAHLN) as well as the FDA’s Veterinary Laboratory Investigation and Response Network (VetLIRN) and participates in specialized surveillance testing for foreign animal diseases such as Foot and Mouth Disease, Avian Influenza, Classical Swine Fever and Exotic Newcastle disease as well as Chronic Wasting Disease and Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy. There is also an important research and development component that focuses on new or improved diagnostic methods as well as a teaching and outreach component that interfaces with veterinary students, producers and the private practitioners in the state.
- 2003 – 2006 Assistant State Veterinarian, New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets – Division of Animal Industry
- Served as Assistant Director of the Division of Animal Industry and Assistant State Veterinarian. Technical responsibilities included Emergency Programs, animal disease surveillance/monitoring systems, Geographic Information Systems, zoonotic diseases, bioterrorism and informatics. Administrative duties encompassed all facets of budget formulation and administration, personnel management and relations with other state, federal, university and industry groups.
- 1990 - 2003 Chief, Office of Laboratory Services, Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, Division of Animal Industry Services
- Served as an Assistant State Veterinarian and Director of the Virginia Animal Health Laboratory System (VAHLS). Principal administrator responsible for all budget development, personnel matters, strategic planning, training, facilities and equipment planning and acquisition and policy development and implementation for the VAHLS. Conceived, implemented and provided technical support for the Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS). Designed and supervised construction of three complete regional laboratory facilities, a fourth was in the planning stage. Implemented a comprehensive QA/QC program including SOP and QC Manuals and both internal and external proficiency testing programs. Established a Geographic Information System (GIS) system covering the Virginia poultry industry. Provided back-up coverage of necropsy duties at regional labs. Consultant to the State Veterinarian in the development of animal health policy and the execution of regulatory programs. Developed educational materials (seminars, brochures, web pages) relevant to Division programs. Supervised and participated in internship program for both professional and non-professional students. Liaison to the Virginia-Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine. Represented the Division and Agency with other state and federal agencies, industry and professional organizations at the local, state and national level. Served as Deputy Incident Commander and as Acting State Veterinarian and Acting Incident Commander during the 2002 Virginia Avian Influenza Taskforce.
This included oversight of all aspects of the Taskforce including diagnosis, euthanasia, disposal, logistics, personnel, safety and policy decisions.
- 1987-2003 Adjunct Faculty, Dept. of Biology, Randolph-Macon College, Ashland, VA
- Taught laboratory/lecture portion of Introductory Biology. Developed and taught a full lecture/laboratory course on Parasite Ecology. Served as advisor on research animal welfare issues.
- 1987-1990 Associate Veterinarian Hopewell Animal Hospital, Hopewell, VA
- Responsible for all medical and surgical duties as well as emergency calls of a 2-doctor, predominantly small animal/exotics/small ruminants practice. Supervised technical and clerical staff.
Honors and Awards
- AAVLD Distinguished Service Award for service as Vice-President (1998), President-Elect (1999) and President (2000), American Association of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosticians, 2000.
- Recognition of Service Award for Service as President (1997-2001), Richmond Academy of Veterinary Medicine, 2001.
- Food Hygiene Veterinarian of the Year. American Association of Food Hygiene Veterinarians, 2001.
- USDA Animal Health Safeguarding Review, National Association of State Departments of Agriculture, 2001.
- USDA APHIS:Veterinary Services Commendation for Service as Deputy Incident Commander for the 2002 Virginia Low-Path Avian Influenza Taskforce.
- National Disaster Medicine System Commendation for serving as liaison with the NDMS during the 2002 Virginia Low-Path Avian Influenza Taskforce.
- USDA Secretary of Agriculture Group Honor Award for Service as Deputy Incident Commander of the 2002 Virginia Low-Path Avian Influenza Taskforce.
- FDA Collaboration Award – Monkeypox Interagency Workgroup, 2003.
- USDA Certificate of Appreciation – Working with OIE to Develop Internationally Recognized Standards for Low Pathogenic Avian Influenza, 2003.
- E. P. Pope Memorial Award – American Association of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosticians, 2005.
- USDA Veterinary Services Appreciation Award for Service on the Safeguarding Review Information Technology Implementation Team, 2005.
Professional Society Memberships
- American Association of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosticians - President, 2000, Program Chair and President-Elect, 1999, Vice President, 1998, Executive Board 1998-2001 and 2006–2011, representative to the Organization International des Epizooties (OIE), 2001, Chair, Government Relations Committee, 2000-present, Co-Chair, Joint AAVLD/USAHA Animal Health Information Systems Committee ,1998-2008. Member of: NAHLN Laboratory Directors Committee, Epidemiology Committee, Informatics Committee
- United States Animal Health Association - Co-Chair National Animal Health Reporting System Steering Committee, 1997 – 2008, Vice-Chair, Animal Disease Surveillance and Animal Health Information Systems, 1993-1997, Member of: Foreign and Emerging Diseases Committee, National Animal Health Surveillance System Steering Committee, Transmissible Diseases of Poultry Committee.
- American Veterinary Medical Association
- New York State Veterinary Medical Society
- Ellis, J., Courchesne, S., Davis, B., Murray, M., French, R., Sidor, I., Frasca, S., Smith, J., Fleetwood, M., Roudabush, A., Bunting, E., Akey, B. Northeast Wildlife Disease Cooperative. In Proceedings of the US Animal Health Association Meeting, p. 106. 2011
- Huntley, J., Finnerty, K., Akey, B, Morrow, B. and McGrath, M. New York State Cattle Health Assurance Program: An Animal Health Information Environment Towards Informed Animal Health. Proceedings US Animal Health Association Annual Meeting, pp. 140-157. 2009
- Elvinger, F., Akey, B. L., Senne, D., Pierson, F. W., Porter-Spalding, B. A. and Suarez, D. L. Characteristics and Efficiency of Diagnostic Tests Used in the 2002 LowPath Avian Influenza Outbreak in Virginia. Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation 19:341–348 (2007).
- Elvinger, F., Thurmond, M. C. and Akey, B. L. "Value of Diagnostic Test Performance Indicators in Surveillance Program Design." Proceedings of the Annual Meeting-US Animal Health Association. Vol. 110. United States Health Association; 2007.
- Sauders, B., Durak, M. Z., Fortes, E., Windham, K., Schukken, Y., Lembo, A. J., Akey, B. L., Nightingale, K. K., and Wiedmann, M. Molecular Characterization of Listeria monocytogenes from Natural and Urban Environments. J. Food Protection, Vol 69, No. 1, 2006, Pages 93-105.
- McQuiston, J J., Garber, L. P., Porter-Spalding, B. A., Hahn, J. W., Pierson, F. W., Wainwright, Sh. H., Senne, D. A., Brignole, T. J., Akey, B. L. and Holt, T. J. Evaluation of Risk Factors for the Spread of Low Pathogenicity H7N2 Avian Influenza Virus among Commercial Poultry Farms. JAVMA, Vol 226, No. 5, 2005, Pages 767-772.
- Akey, B. L. Contributor to: AgroSecurity – Protecting America’s Agriculture and Food. Georgia Department of Agriculture, 2005.
- Akey, B. L. Contributor to: Animal Health at the Crossroads: Preventing, Detecting, and Diagnosing Animal Diseases, National Academies of Science, Board on Agriculture and Natural Resources, 2005.
- Akey, B. L. Infectious Disease Epidemiology Gaps. In: Conference Proceedings of The Office of Science and Technology Policy Blue Ribbon Panel on the Threat of Biological Terrorism Directed Against Livestock, Rand Corporation for the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy, April, 2004.
- Akey, B. L. Low-Pathogenicity H7N2 Avian Influenza Outbreak in Virginia in 2002. Avian Diseases, Vol. 47(3), Proceedings of the 5th International Symposium on Avian Influenza, 2003, Pages 1099-1103.
- Brooks, M., Morley, P., Dargatz, D., Hyatt, D., Salman, M. and Akey, B. Survey of Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing Practices of Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratories in the US. JAVMA, Vol. 222(2), Pages 168-173, 2003.
- Akey B. L. Disease Diagnostics: How Can We Identify It—Quickly, Cheaply, and Accurately? In: Emerging Animal Diseases: Global Markets, Global Safety: Workshop Summary, National Academies of Science, Board of Agriculture and Natural Resources, 2002.
- Elvinger, F. and Akey, B. L. Health Monitoring and Disease Reporting in the United States National Swine Herd. In: First Global Virtual Conference on Swine Health, 2001. http://www.conferencia.uncnet.br/swine/swine.en.html
- Schantz, P., Steurer, F., Jackson, J., Rooney, J., Akey, B., Duprey, Z., Breitschwerdt, E., Rowton, E., and M. Gramiccia. Emergence of Visceral Leishmaniasis in Dogs in North America. Proceedings of the World Leishmaniasis Conference, 2001.
- Akey B., Case J., Hietala S., Elvinger F., Munoz-Zanzi C., Thurmond M. The Future of Diagnostic Laboratories in Surveillance: More Than Just Sentinel Chickens. 43rd Annual Meeting, American Association of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosticians. October 21-23, 2001. Birmingham, AL.
- Smith, M., Salman, M., Akey, B., Elvinger, F., and N. Wineland. The U.S. National Animal Health Reporting System. Proceedings of the Ninth Symposium of the International Society for Veterinary Epidemiology and Economics, 2000.
- Elvinger, F., Hietala, S., Thurmond, M., Case, J., Munoz-Zanzi, C., and B. Akey. Surveillance, Monitoring and Sentinel Functions of Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratories. Proceedings of the Ninth Symposium of the International Society for Veterinary Epidemiology and Economics, 2000.
- Henricson, B., Segarra, M., Garvin, J., Burns, J., Jenkins, S., Kim, C., Popovic, T., Golaz, A., and Akey, B. Wound Infection by Toxigenic C. diptheriae in an Equine. J. Vet. Diag. Investigation, May;12(3), 2000, Pages 253-257.
- Akey, B. Establishment and Use of a Geographic Information System (GIS) to Control Avian Influenza. Proceedings United States Animal Health Association 97th Annual Meeting, 1993, Pages 64-68.
- Akey, B., Nayar, J. and D. Forrester. Avian Pox In Florida Wild Turkeys: Culex nigripalpus and Wyeomyia vanduzeei as Experimental Vectors. J. Wildlife Diseases, 1981, Pages 597-600.
- Akey, B. Synergistic Effects of Avian Malaria and Avian Poxvirus on Mortality of Wild Turkeys in Florida. M.S. Thesis, University of Florida, 1981.