Soon, around the globe, Cornell will be celebrating our University's first 150 years. The history of the teaching of veterinary medicine at Cornell predates the establishment of the College in 1894. Shortly after the University was founded in 1865, Ezra Cornell insisted that a chair of veterinary medicine be instituted. He instructed Andrew D. White, the University's first president, to seek the best-qualified person to teach courses in veterinary medicine and surgery. Legend has it that, as White sailed off in search of world-class faculty to bring back to the University, Ezra Cornell called out "Don't forget the horse doctor!"
James Law, a distinguished young veterinarian from Edinburgh, Scotland was recruited by the University’s first president Andrew Dixon White. Dr. Law became the first professor of veterinary medicine and surgery at Cornell and at an American university in 1868. This momentous event would provide the foundation for advancement in veterinary medicine in the United States.
The College proudly joins the University in celebrating the Sesquicentennial anniversary of Cornell's founding. Learn more about the Sesquicentennial and its multiple celebrations here: http://150.cornell.edu/