Jon Cheetham VetMB PhD DipACVS is an Associate Professor of Large Animal Surgery at Cornell University. He worked in first opinion and referral equine practice in the UK before coming to Cornell for a residency and PhD. Clinically, he works with sports medicine and upper airway cases. His laboratory focuses on understanding the role of macrophages in the early immune response to nerve injury and applying this knowledge to improve functional outcomes after nerve graft.
Education and Training
2008 Cornell University, Biomedical Sciences, PhD
1995 Cambridge University, Veterinary Clinical Science, VetMB
1995 St. Catherine's College, Medical Sciences, MA
1992 St. Catherine's College, Medical Sciences, BA
2006 American College of Veterinary Surgery
1. Cheetham J. Congenital diaphragmatic hernia with subsequent incarceration of the left large colon and gastric rupture in a foal. Equine Veterinary Education. 10:239-241. 1998.
2. Chalmers HJ, Cheetham J, Dykes NL, Ducharme NG. Computed tomographic diagnosis - stylohyoid fracture with pharyngeal abscess in a horse without temporohyoid disease. Veterinary Radiology and Ultrasound. 47:165-167. 2006.
3. Cheetham J, Nixon AJ. Arthroscopic approaches to the palmar aspect of the equine carpus. Veterinary Surgery. 35:227-231. 2006
4. Chalmers HJ, Cheetham J, Yeager AE, Ducharme NG. Ultrasonography of the equine laryngeal region – technique, normal appearance, and clinical applications. Veterinary Radiology and Ultrasound. 47:476-481. 2006.
5. Cheetham J, Radcliffe CR, Ducharme NG, Sanders I, Mu L, Hermanson JW. Neuroanatomy of the equine dorsal cricoarytenoid muscle: surgical implications. Equine Veterinary Journal. 40:70-75. 2008.
6. Rakesh V, Ducharme NG, Datta AK, Cheetham J, Pease AP. Development of equine upper airway pressure model for thoroughbred racehorses. Equine Veterinary Journal. 40:272-279. 2008.
7. Cheetham J, Witte TH, Rawlinson JJ, Soderholm LV, Mohammed HO, Ducharme NG. Intra-articular stabilization of the equine cricoarytenoid joint. Equine Veterinary Journal. 40:584-588. 2008.
8. Cheetham J, Pigott JH, Thorson LM, Mohammed HO, Ducharme NG. Outcome based assessment of the laryngeal tie forward procedure and its effect on laryngohyoid conformation. Equine Veterinary Journal. 40:501-507. 2008.
9. Cheetham J, Witte TH, Soderholm LV, Hermanson JW, Ducharme NG. In vitro model for testing novel implants for equine laryngoplasty. Veterinary Surgery. 37:588–593. 2008
10. Radcliffe RM, Cheetham J, Bezuidenhout AJ, Ducharme NG, Nixon AJ. Arthroscopic removal of palmar/plantar osteochondral fragments from the proximal interphalangeal joint in four horses. Veterinary Surgery. 37:733–740. 2008.
11. Rakesh V, Ducharme NG, Cheetham J, Datta AK, Pease AP. Implications of different degrees of arytenoid cartilage adduction on equine upper airway characteristics. Equine Veterinary Journal. 40:629-635. 2008.
12. Cheetham J, Pigott JH, Hermanson JW, Campoy L, Soderholm LV, Thorson LM, Ducharme NG. Role of the hypoglossal nerve in equine nasopharyngeal stability. Journal of Applied Physiology. 107:471-477. 2009.
13. Ortved KF, Cheetham J, Mitchell LM, Ducharme NG. Successful treatment of persistent dorsal displacement of the soft palate and evaluation of laryngohyoid position in 15 racehorses. Equine Veterinary Journal. 42:23-29. 2010.
14. Cheetham J, Riordan AS, Mohammed HO, McIlwraith CW, Fortier LA. Relationships between race earnings and horse age, sex, gait, track surface and number of race starts and for Thoroughbred and Standardbred race horses in North America. Equine Veterinary Journal. 42:346-350. 2010.
15. Ducharme, NG, Cheetham J, Sanders I, Hermanson JW, Hackett, RP, Soderholm LV, Mitchell LM. Considerations for pacing of the cricoarytenoid dorsalis muscle by a neuroprosthesis in horses. Equine Veterinary Journal. 42:434-540. 2010.
16. Fortier LA, Potter HG, Rickey EJ, Schnabel LV, Foo LF, Chong LR, Stokol T, Cheetham J, Nixon AJ. Concentrated bone marrow aspirate improves full-thickness cartilage repair compared to microfracture in an equine model of extensive cartilage loss. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. 92:1927-1937. 2010.
17. Pigott JH, Ducharme NG, Mitchell L.M., Soderholm LV, Cheetham J. Incidence of swallowing during exercise in horses with dorsal displacement of the soft palate. Equine Veterinary Journal. 42:732-737. 2010.
18. Witte TH, Cheetham J, Soderholm LV, Mitchell LM, Ducharme NG Equine laryngoplasty sutures undergo increased loading during coughing and swallowing. American Journal of Veterinary Research. 39:949-956. 2010.
19. Witte TH, Cheetham J, Rawlinson JJ, Soderholm LV, Mitchell LM, Ducharme, NG. A transducer for the measurement of force on surgical sutures. Canadian Journal of Veterinary Research. 74:299-304. 2010.
20. Sano H, Martin-Flores M, Santos LCP, Cheetham J, Gleed RD. Effects of epidural morphine on gastrointestinal transit in unmedicated horses. Journal of Anesthesia and Analgesia. 38:121-126. 2011
21. Passman SN, Cheetham J, Bonassar LJ, Ducharme NG, Rawlinson JJ. Biomechanical characterization of equine laryngeal cartilage. Equine Veterinary Journal. 43:592-598. 2011.
22. Watts AE, Nixon AJ, Reesink HL, Cheetham J, Fubini SL, Looney AL. Continuous peripheral neural blockade to alleviate signs of experimentally induced severe forelimb pain in horses. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association. 238:1032-1039. 2011
23. Cheetham J, Regner A, Jarvis JC, Priest D, Sanders I, Soderholm LV, Mitchell LM, Ducharme, NG. Functional electrical stimulation of intrinsic laryngeal muscles under varying loads in exercising horses. PLOS One. 6(8): e24258. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0024258. 2011.
24. Reesink HL, Divers TJ, Bookbinder LC, van Eps AW, Soderholm LV, Mohammed HO, Cheetham J. Measurement of digital laminar and venous temperatures as a means of comparing three methods of topically applied cold treatment for digits of horses. American Journal of Veterinary Research. 73:860-866. 2012
25. Priest DT, Cheetham J, Regner AL, Mitchell L, Soderholm LV, Tamzali Y, Ducharme NG. Dynamic respiratory endoscopy of Standardbred racehorses during qualifying races. Equine Veterinary Journal. 44:529-534. doi: 10.1111/j.2042-3306.2012.00562.x. 2012
26. Chalmers HJ, Yeager AE, Cheetham J, Viel L, Ducharme N. Diagnostic sensitivity of subjective and quantitative laryngeal ultrasonography for recurrent laryngeal neuropathy in horses. Veterinary Radiology and Ultrasound. 53:660-666. doi: 10.1111/j.1740-8261.2012.01974.x. 2012
27. Barakzai SZ, Cheetham J. Endoscopic examination of exercising horses: effects on diagnosis and treatment of upper respiratory tract disorders. Equine Veterinary Journal. 44(5):501-3. doi: 10.1111/j.2042-3306.2012.00625.x. 2012
28. Martini P, Cercone M, Cheetham J, Koch KP. Experimental electrical field distribution measurements in a perfused ex vivo model. Biomedizinische Technik (Berl). pii: /j/bmte.2012.57.issue-s1-S/bmt-2012-4147/bmt-2012-4147.xml. doi: 10.1515/bmt-2012-4147. [Epub ahead of print] 2012 Sep 6.
29. Zantingh AJ, Ducharme NG, Mitchell LM, Cheetham J. Effects of hypoglossal nerve block and electrical stimulation of the thyrohyoideus muscles on position of the larynx and hyoid apparatus in healthy horses. American Journal of Veterinary Research. 74:784-9. doi: 10.2460/ajvr.74.5.784. 2013
30. Garrett KS, Embertson RM, Woodie JB, Cheetham J. Ultrasound features of arytenoid chondritis in Thoroughbred horses. Equine Veterinary Journal. 45(5):598-603. doi: 10.1111/evj.12037. 2013
31. Brown BN, Siebenlist NJ, Cheetham J, Ducharme NG, Hermanson JW, Rawlinson JJ, Bonassar LJ. Computed tomography-guided tissue engineering of equine upper airway cartilage. Tissue Engineering Part C: Methods. In Review.
32. Perkins JD, Earnshaw A, Cheetham J, Parker L, Kelly P, Pollock P. Variability of arytenoid cartilage abduction at exercise in the assessment of recurrent laryngeal neuropathy in Thoroughbred horses. American Journal of Veterinary Research. In Review.
33. Tull TM, Bramlage LR, and Cheetham J. Racing performance following free choice exercise for treatment of cumulative stress induced bone injury of the distal third metacarpus/metatarsus: A cohort study. Equine Veterinary Journal. In review.
34. Martin-Flores M, Campoy L, Kinsley MA, Mohammed HO, Gleed RD, Cheetham J. Analgesic and gastrointestinal effects of epidural morphine in horses after laparoscopic cryptorchidectomy under general anesthesia. Veterinary Analgesia and Anesthesia. Accepted June 21st 2013.
35. Perkins JD, Windley Z, Schumacher J, Cochran K, Piercy R, Cheetham J. In-vitro effect of right-sided abduction and transection of the transverse arytenoid ligament on abduction of the left arytenoid cartilage after equine laryngoplasty. Equine Veterinary Journal. In review.
36. Kenny M, Rawlinson JJ, Cercone M, Ducharme NG, Bookbinder L, Maher M, Thompson M, Mitchell L, Soderholm LV, Yeager A, Cheetham J. Development and validation of two minimally invasive techniques for determining geometry of the posterior cricoarytenoid muscle. Laryngoscope. In Review.
37. Martin M., Hoffman B., Brown B., Hokanson, C, Bonassar L., Cheetham J. Biomechanical and Biochemical characterization of porcine tracheal cartilage. In review.
38. Cheetham J. Jones A. Martin-Flores M. Effect of pulsatile carbon dioxide inhalation on canine laryngeal function. In review.
39. Brown BN, Siebenlist NJ, Cheetham J, Ducharme NG, Rawlinson JJ, Bonassar LJ. Computed Tomography-Guided Tissue Engineering of Equine Upper Airway Cartilage. Tissue Engineering: Part C. In review.
40. Bookbinder L, Flanders J, Bookbinder PF, Harvey J, Barry J, Cheetham J. Idiopathic Canine Laryngeal Paralysis as One Sign of a Diffuse Polyneuropathy: An Observational Study of 100 Cases from 2007-2013. In review.
1. Ainsworth DM, Cheetham J. Disorders of the respiratory system. In: Reed SM, Bayly WM, Sellon DC (eds): Equine Internal Medicine. Third edition. Saunders, St. Louis. 2009
2. Cheetham J, Holcombe SJ, Ducharme NG. Upper airway function of normal horses during exercise. In: Hinchcliff K. (ed): Equine Sports Medicine and Surgery. Second Edition. Elsevier. 2012.
3. Ducharme NG, Cheetham J, Holcombe SJ. Abnormalities of the upper airway In: Hinchcliff K. (ed): Equine Sports Medicine and Surgery. Second Edition. Elsevier. 2012.