attn: Pilar Thompson
Cornell University Hospital for Animals
Ithaca, NY 14853-6401
Cornell University Hospital for Animals welcomes matriculating veterinary students from other colleges (in their final or next to final clinical year of veterinary school) who wish to participate in clinical rotations with our veterinary students. Visits are limited to six weeks (with no more than four weeks on one service). Requests for an extension will be determined on a case by case basis. Demonstrated competence and proficiency in both spoken and written English language skills are required to facilitate the educational process and client communications.
Services that may be visited
Schedule for Clinical Rotations
Clinical rotations are scheduled on a space-available basis, with the approval of the service chief, in approximately two-week consecutive blocks of time.
|C4||Jan 11 - Jan 24, 2016|
|C5||Jan 25 - Feb 7|
|C6||Feb 8 - Feb 21|
|D1||Feb 22 - Mar 6|
|D2||Mar 7 - Mar 27|
|D3||Mar 28 - Apr 10|
|D4||Apr 11 - Apr 24|
|D5||Apr 25 - May 8|
|D6||May 9 - May 22|
|A1||May 23 - June 5|
|A2||June 6 - June 19|
|A3||June 20 - July 3|
|A4||July 4 - 17|
|A5||July 18 - 31|
|A6||Aug 1 - 14|
|A7||Aug 15 - Aug 28|
|B1||Aug 29 - Sept 11|
|B2||Sept 12 - Sept 25|
|B3||Sept 26 - Oct 9|
|B4||Oct 10 - Oct 23|
|B5||Oct 24 - Nov 6|
|B6||Nov 7 - Nov 20|
|C1||Nov 21 - Dec 4|
|C2||Dec 5 - Dec 18|
|C3||Dec 19 - Jan 8, 2017|
Application Procedure & Requirements
To apply: Fill our and return form via Fax in order to begin an Extern Request - Extern check list of requirementsNO.F - pav37
- Clothing MUST BE thoroughly laundered before being worn. Bring more than one pair of coveralls or lab coats.
- Footwear must be carefully and thoroughly scrubbed clean and disinfected using the following procedure:
- For rubber over boots, scrub well with a detergent. (Detergent with bleach, mixed at 2 ounce per gallon of water works well for this.)
- After scrubbing, mix a fresh solution of detergent in hot water and fully immerse the boots for at least 15 minutes. (IF available, a disinfectant can be used in place of detergent.)
- Rinse boots with water, allow to dry completely.
- For other footwear, clean and scrub as described above. Use a toothbrush to get into any grooves in the soles. After cleaning, if boots cannot be immersed, allow the soles of the shoes to stand in a shallow container in a solution of 1:32 bleach solution (4 oz. per gallon) for a minimum of 5 minutes. Allow boots to dry completely.
3. DO NOT bring equipment (pocket organizers, thermometers, hoof picks, lead ropes, fanny packs) to our facilities unless they are new.
4. Stethoscopes are the exception. Your stethoscope must be thoroughly cleaned. To clean, first remove any organic matter with a wet sponge. Using a 4x4, wipe with Nolvasan solution, covering all surface areas, allow to dry. Wipe off with water and soft cloth, spray or wipe stethoscope with alcohol and allow to dry. Use Q-tips to clean the small parts and remove the cover on the head of the stethoscope and clean separately following the above procedure.
Applications to attend our rotations are reviewed and approved by the section chiefs of the services in the Cornell University Hospital for Animals.
Weekly fees may be charged by the Hospital for Extern visits. Student visitors are responsible for all personal arrangements and expenses associated with their visits. All students will be charged a non-refundable processing and application fee once your visit is approved by the service.
To obtain current fees and additional information, please contact:
Attn: Pilar Thompson
Cornell University, College of Veterinary Medicine
Schurman Hall S3-005A, VMC Box 46
Ithaca, NY 14853-6401